Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Apples apples everywhere!!

I started my weekend journey with the last run to the apple orchard... far and few in between... I was up and down ladders all morning to pick all that I wanted for my final apple canning feat.  This weekend's round involved apple sauce, apple pie filling, apple butter(my first time) and to top it all off, apple jelly from the peels and cores(Thanks Angie).. well as of today my apple jelly has not set up yet... so with a little advice I am going to re-boil it.. this time over flames instead of a glass top stove!!! Here is hoping this afternoon's adventure ends with success of apple jelly!!!
Pie filling and apple sauce
Why throw out those peels and cores.. Make jelly with them!!! I stored them in my refridgerator until I had enough to fill the pot I was going to use.  This is my turkery roster rounded...
Apple peels and cores
After all was said and done... I drained 6 quarts of liquid apple goodness added the sugar and set it to boil.. If anyone has every attempted to boil large amounts of anything on a flat top stove you will definitely understand how long it took to boil... I believe it has not completely set up yet, due to lack of rolling boil so this afternoon I am gonna pop open the 7 quarts and 4 pints and bring it to a rolling boil over flames!!!  I love my out door cook stove(Thanks hubby).  Have propane will boil..  This year I am going to ask my hubby for one of these beauties.. 
Cadco CSR3T

They are about 100-120$$ depending on where you buy them, but this coil burner will be much easier for canning and cooking(lobster pot, corn, etc.) where a flat top just does not keep constant heat. The second wonderful thing about this bad boy is that I can do Pressure canning during the winter inside.. Kinda hard to keep a canner up to temp when the outside air is about freezing.

Happy Wednesday :)

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment